Thursday, June 27, 2013

My little reader and my Google Reader


First, a few pictures of my blossoming reader. After that, a request for help.
The only one on the plane who took the safety announcement seriously
Still poring over it, long after the presentation was over
There be dragons here
We spent a good 25 minutes talking about this single page.
In a couple of days, Google Reader will disappear. Every time I log in, I get a message reminding me of its impending doom. And I still haven't found a replacement. When the demise of Reader was announced several months ago, I spent some time researching alternatives, but I wasn't ready to make the leap. Now I'm going back and trying to do more research, but it's tricky because a lot of the reviews I find are many months old and may not be fully accurate.

According to my stats, I've got over 100 subscribers on Google Reader. My Google Reader companions, I feel your pain. You might consider subscribing to my posts via e-mail (there's a "Follow by Email" button on the sidebar); that's probably the safest way to make sure you see my stuff.

But for a Reader alternative, I found this article on Lifehacker that offered a few brief reviews for replacements, and based on it, I'm thinking Feedly, The Old Reader, or Newsvibe. Have any of you started using an alternative? How did you choose? How do you like it?

Note: I originally created the Then/Now comic for the Insatiable Booksluts. It's a cool blog about many things literary. You should check it out.

11 comments:

  1. If you feel she's ready and she's interested, engage your daughter in rhyming and sound games. This will help develop one of the most important building blocks of reading: phonemic awareness. Reading Dr. Seuss to her works too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason the kid doesn't really dig Dr. Seuss. But you can bet I'm going to be throwing the term "phonemic awareness" at her.

      But yeah, I think you're right. Rhyming games, here we come. Anyone want a peanut?!

      Delete
  2. I tried Pulse and Bloglovin

    Loved the format/layout of Pulse, but it didn't always update some subscriptions (some never) and tended to crash. But I liked that it was updated to my phone so I had content to read when I didn't have an internet connection

    I decided to try out a few other options, the first being bloglovin which was recommended by a blogger, and I loved it so much I never tried any others. It also transferred all of my subscriptions automatically from google reader, which was great since I follow more than a hundred blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have smart phones, so that didn't play a role in our decision. I ended up just going with Feedly, because I had so many people recommend it. But I still have this irritating voice whispering to me that I didn't choose wisely...I just don't have the time to worry too much about it. oh well.

      Delete
  3. Your daughter is adorable and the comic is amazing.
    I am on bloglovin but I am not using it well.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I used to use google reader religiously, but once it got removed from google's toolbar, I got out of the habit, and now I'm having a hard time getting back into the habit with any of the alternatives.

      Delete
  4. I really like Feedly. There's a bit of a learning curve with the web interface, but once you get used to it, it's pretty powerful. I also really like the mobile apps they provide - on a tablet, it does a pretty good job of replicating a magazine-style format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just catching up with old comments now . . . and opened my feedly page for the first time in about two months. I'm just not in the habit anymore, and it's gonna take some work to get back into it, I think.

      Delete
  5. I ended up with The Old Reader. One downside - if I click on a post in the middle of the list, it will think I've also read the ones above it and therefore lose them for me if I navigate away from that subscription list.

    Love Graeme Base. Do you have "The Eleventh Hour"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just catching up with comments. Yes! We have "The Eleventh Hour." I think Addison prefers Animalia, but you can't go wrong with any of Graeme Base.

      Delete
    2. TEH is a reasonably complex logic puzzle - she may enjoy it more when she's older.

      Delete