Monday, July 16, 2012

On eating faces


I'm cleaning up my daughter's room while she and her mom are away visiting relatives, and I'm trying to decide what to do about her mutilated Mickey.

My two-year-old ate the face off of her Mickey Mouse doll. It's like she was trying to be current or something. So now we've got this Mickey doll that she refuses to play with because he's got no nose and there's stuffing coming out of his eyes.


I ask her, "Why don't you play with your Mickey, Addison?"

"Mickey owie," she says.
"Why does he have an owie?"
"I bite him. Sowwy Mickey. Sad."

She's very apologetic, but she still won't go anywhere near him.

My older sister had a thing for biting people, and it regularly got her sent to the principal's office. I think it was her way of being friendly.

I think I'm going to keep this Mickey around just in case Addison starts going through a real biting phase. A lot of kids do, I think.

"Remember how you bit off Mickey's face?"
"Yes."
"Did it make him sad?"
"Yes."
"Are you going to stop biting people, or am I going to have to make you sleep with Mickey tonight?"
"No! I stop! No Mickey! Not ina bed!"

Alright, kiddo. Glad you see it my way. Sweet dreams. Try not to think about Mickey -- he's just up on the shelf. Watching you.


10 comments:

  1. This is probably my favorite post you've written. I read it out loud to Ryan and he laughed. Very funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of thought it was funny, too. Which means that we're all sick, sick people, and probably shouldn't be raising children.

      Delete
  2. Very funny and great blog. I'm particularly fond of your cartoons. See my blog and you'll know why. I have tagged you for a Liebster Award! I hope you'll accept it as I did. Please go here for the details. http://www.notmymomsblog.com/2012/07/big-helping-of-steak-and-liebster.html Cheers and keep blogging and drawing! --Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, thanks so much! Heading over to check your blog now.

      Delete
  3. Is it wrong that every time I see this post in my reader, I read it as "on eating feces"? Clearly, I blame you for leading me down that path...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alright, I know my next blog post.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I'll take the credit, although most of the work was done by my daughter.

      Delete
  5. I was just introduced to your blog, and this makes me feel better. I use the stuffed animal she's scared of to keep her from climbing of things. I'm a terrible mom but I didn't know what else to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with a little fear in a kid's life, as long as it's not of mom and dad. If you read old fairytales and compare them with kid's fare these days, they're totally coddled.

      Delete

If you leave a comment more than 24 hours after the blog post was published, my blog will eat your comment and digest it for a while until I get a chance to approve it. Because spam.