Friday, August 31, 2012

Crashing the Facebook party

So, there's this hip new website called Facebook that is starting to get a little buzz. I've heard some good things and some bad things about it.

Good Things
It lets you sneak around the lives of your friends (and enemies) without actually having to speak to them. Or smell them. Or be in the same room together. Or even in the same state. This, my readers, is like the holy grail of the socially awkward. I'm talking about myself. The only thing science can do to one-up this is hovercars.
Also, on the off-chance you actually want to interact with another person, it can be done by pressing a "like" button. Or if you're really craving intimacy, you can always type a witty sentence fragment and press enter.
Bad Things
People post a lot of boring pictures of food.  
You will be fired from your job after posting pictures of yourself doing keg stands after the kids go to bed. Then, you will be fired from your family after the wife sees the pictures. Then, you will have to live beneath an overpass until you catch pneumonia and die.
Nonetheless, I have decided to start a Facebook page. I'm not sure why. I was bored. I saw other cool kids doing it. And sometimes Addison says something that I just want to share, but I don't feel like turning it into a full-blown post. Like the other day when she told us that her ice cream "hurt my feelings." I think she was experiencing a brain-freeze.

So, unless you're too cool for technology (in which case, no hovercars for you, ever), pop on over and "like" my page, and we'll crash the Facebook party. This is new for me, so let's just test it out a little bit and see how it goes. At least until those kegger pictures surface, in which case maybe some of y'all will visit me under the bridge.

10 comments:

  1. I can't believe you're letting the whole internet know about your Facebook stalking habit. Pretty soon you will have no secrets for me to hold over you, and I will have to think of new pastimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only Facebook stalk when I'm home from work.

      Oh wait. I "work" from home.

      Delete
  2. I only joined Facebook so I could stalk people on Pinterest. I am loving me some Pinterest. I have more Pinterest followers than Facebook friends. I've had Facebook and Pinterest for less than a year. We live dangerously behind the curve in my household. For instance, we don't pay for TV, for christmas I got hubs a cell phone, we both got new phones-that take pictures and can do texting and surfing the internet. We don't pay for the texting or internet options but it's available should we change our minds. We use about 10 minutes a month of our 450 shared minutes. We've been paying fo internet service for almost two years, so I think we are catching up, which is too bad, we don't want to be like everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got on Pinterest but haven't quite decided what to do with it yet.

      But I hear you about being behind the curve. I have some friends who have been bugging me about joining Twitter, and I'm like, just let me master texting first. Whenever I need to send a text, I hand the phone to my wife. We don't pay for any other extras on our single household cell phone either. I bought it just before we got married in 2007.

      Delete
    2. Twitter is decidedly intimidating. Just remember, though, it is filled with a bunch of illiterates, Beliebers and an endless stream of #YOLO's (i.e., You Only Live Once). If you need water wings, follow me and I will gladly get you swimming through Twitterverse. @anthonysopinion AKA Henry's Dad

      Delete
    3. I LOVE floaties. If/when I test those waters, I'll give you a shout.

      Delete
  3. I have a Facebook page. Not sure why though, since I never go there. I actually cringe at the thought of it, and I have over a hundred friends. I would just delete it, but Mom would be so crushed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I avoided interacting very much with Facebook for a long time, and I was tempted to continue to do so, but I decided that if I was really going to try to be a part of the blogging community, I was just gonna have to stretch a little and try things I wasn't totally familiar with (this is one of many possibilities). We'll see how the Facebook stuff goes; at the least, I figure it's an educational experiment. And, heck, it might be fun, too. I don't want to sink it before it sails.

      Delete
    2. I actually use Facebook alot more than I thought I would. It does make it easier for my husband's side of the family to keep up with what my kids are up to. Both of our families live in a different state from us so they don't get to see the kids as much as we/they would like.

      Delete
    3. I wonder if I'll say the same thing about Twitter when I figure it out or, in the future, life-sized holograms. Or if it will be like Brave New World, where the only pureness to be found will be to go back to basics.

      Delete