Monday, August 13, 2012

My daughter, who wishes she was a dog



The family reunion we've just returned from was only two hours away, thank goodness. All considered, it wasn't too bad. Not as bad as the drive from the last family reunion. We had family bonding, time-outs every ten minutes because our sweet, uber-social daughter has recently decided to be a hitter, lots of good food, and lots of Olympics-watching.


We're still decompressing and unpacking. And lying in fetal position on the floor. Addison did pretty well in the car for about thirty minutes. And then she started getting claustrophobic (despite her skill at folding into small spaces) and so did I. We had the following conversation every five minutes until we got home:

Addison (screamed): I want to get OUT! OOUUUT!
Me (calmly): We're almost home. Do you want a book to read?
Addison (screamed): Noooo! Out! Out! OOOUUT!
Me (screamed): I can't take it! I'm going to jump out the window!
Addison (anguished): No! Not jump outta window!
Lindsay (severely): Nobody is jumping out the window. Okay?
Addison (whimpering): Okay.
Me (whimpering): Okay.

These pictures are actually from a couple months ago at my brother-in-law's graduation where he received a Master's degree in educational leadership. We were moving about 2 miles per hour for more than 20 minutes on campus roads, so we gave her a car seat break. And it's sure as heck what she wanted to be doing this time on the interstate, but her mom is a heartless monster who frowns upon high-speed defenestration.

6 comments:

  1. Great pictures (actually, they're obviously not pictures but paintings). Poor girl, she's probably at the age when she feels more like an individual with the power to create cause-and-effect, and being locked in a car seat must be tough. My 4yo doesn't like it either, but he seems okay when I show him my belt is just as tight (although it's not really true...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I slaved over these picture paintings, with years taking art and honing my craft. Also, I used an online photo manipulator that *poof* gave me these in the blink of an eye.

      I definitely feel for her for having to stay locked in a car seat. I wouldn't want it either.

      I think I'm gonna try your last suggestion - she'll start complaining, and I'll demonstrate how my seatbelt is pulling so tight it makes my eyes bug out and my breath come out in gasps. I'm pretty sure it'll be another instance where my wife has to give me a stern look and say "Don't listen to Daddy, he's fine, and you're fine. Everybody settle down."

      Delete
  2. I love that last picture. She just looks so perfectly happy, free, with the wind in her hair. Too bad she more often looks like a wild-eyed maniac with sweaty hair stuck to her head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My little sweaty sweetie. I won't miss the summer.

      Delete
  3. Awesome pictures, and the love of pura vida.

    So much like the biological creatures we are. The simpleness of pure love with life: thanks for the smiles.

    ReplyDelete